Friday, May 21, 2010

Where I Saw the Light Tonight...

The girls where listed as, "Whores" and "Factory Workers."  The boys included a "Pimp," "Sailors," and criminals.  The best part is that they sang so beautifully! 

We began rehearsals for Les Miserables at the Woodland Opera House tonight with nearly the full cast.  These young people, to the individual, had this gleam in their eyes that startled me.  They looked happy to be together, pleased to be singing this music, and they appeared to be genuinely thrilled to be working on this project. 

I have to admit, it's becoming more common to see this level of joy in the young folk around me.  I don't know why everyone seems to engaged, but whatever the reason, I'm so glad they are.  They even seem thrilled to be adding to their educational background in musical theatre and history. 

Who knew that a very long musical, based on an enormous book by 19th Century author, Victor Hugo, about a guy who stole bread and silver from a priest would incite such animation in teenagers born in the 1990s?  Or is it that at all?  Moreso, I'm beginning to think that our teens are beginning to recognize their own value and hear their own voices.  They are growing in hope and a self-awareness that what they are doing is going to make a difference. 

This level of creative energy is immensely infectious, even in a jaded, middle-aged man who has been doing this type of work for a very, very long time.  I've won awards.  I've received recognition from the newspapers and the audience.  I've had many wonderful experiences in this work.  Suddenly, though, I'm asking myself, "Am I finding a renewed thrill in musical theatre?"  It could be. 

If this is the case, I attribute it to a couple of causes.  I found a terrific creative home at Woodland Opera House.  Jeff Kean and his entire team has made being there a wonderful place to ply my avocation.  The biggest reason, I think, is that light in the children's eyes.  That light shines so brightly that I can actually feel the warmth from their retinal suns.  I can see these remarkable children, with such hope and anticipation in their faces, look toward a show well done.  Their pride in their work is both humble and satisfying to them.  Who couldn't become addicted to this level of utter happiness?

So, as we prepare to open Les Miserables at the Woodland Opera House on July 16, 2010 (which happens to be a day before my 51st birthday for those who want to start shopping early), I can only think that our young performers truly are an inspiration to me.  Their light makes my days just that much warmer.  I live in gratitude for their gifts.

____________________________

For blogs directly to you, go to http://alphainventions.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment